Human beings need to get enough vitamins and nutrients in their daily meal. Else, it may result in different health complications. That is why medical doctors warn that vitamins are essential in our body. Vitamins help to keep the body system in good balance and should be taken regularly.
According to dr. David grotto, a former representative of the american dietetic association, men are especially prone to nutrients and vitamin deficiency as we become older. Hence, the best way to address the deficiency is by taking multivitamins.
In this article, we’ve critically reviewed 5 of the best vitamins for men over the age of 40 and how to pick the best option for yourself.
How to choose the best vitamins for men over 40
There are thousands of multivitamins in the market. But, the problem is usually about choosing the best option. So, how do you choose the best? How do you avoid wasting your money on buying less-productive multivitamin tablets? The following tips should help you pick the one that will be good for your body system:
Consider your age:
After you read this informative article, you must be able to choose what will work for you. Age is a major factor we will be considering here. The human body is created in such a way that the nutritional requirements change with age. So, always pick a multivitamin for men in your age category to enjoy the full benefits.
Too much of everything, they say, is bad. On the other hand, deficiency of certain minerals and nutrients can affect the general well-being of man.
Consider the number of nutrients per serving:
Multivitamin supplements have different percent of nutrients per serving. The best option is to choose one with a 100% recommended daily nutrient percentage. Usually, the label on the product tells the daily value percentage of vitamins and minerals in the product. You’ll always find the necessary information on the label.
Consider essential nutrients / vitamins:
There are special vitamins to watch out for a while choosing a multivitamin supplement. Some of them are vitamins a, c, d, e, and k. Other essential nutrients are vitamin b-complex, magnesium, zinc, iron, beta-carotene, selenium, calcium, biotin, and potassium.
What are the advantages of a multivitamin?
Multivitamins may reduce stress and improve mood.
Multivitamins have been scientifically proven to be effective for mood elevation and stress reduction. According to a 2011 study, older men who took multivitamins for eight weeks were healthier than the placebo group. There was a significant reduction in negative moods that they usually felt when they woke up in the morning.
Age-related muscular degeneration is attributed to blindness. However, a study published in 2017 has proven that multivitamins might help to correct this sight problem. That is why medical experts recommend that people eat carrots; a fruit widely believed to help improve eye health. In another study by li-quan zhao et al. In 2014, it was discovered that multivitamin helps to reduce the risk of age-related cataract in both genders above 40 years.
Multivitamins for men may aid weight loss.
Regular intake of multivitamins helps to reduce weight loss. It is worthy of talking about this as part of the benefits that could be enjoyed alongside taking multivitamins.
In a study published in 2010, there was a significant weight loss observed on a patient who was administered multivitamin dosage every day.
Multivitamins may improve memory.
Several studies have been published on the correlation between multivitamins and memory improvement. In 2012, a revolutionary publication opined that the effect of dementia and senility could be improved. This can be attained by taking daily multivitamin supplements.
Vitamin k is an essential vitamin that is said to be responsible for memory improvement.
Multivitamins may reduce sickness and infectious diseases.
One of the popular opinions about multivitamins is that it reduces one’s chance of contracting diseases. Particularly, the effect of a multivitamin on diabetes ii was studied in 2003. There was a significant improvement, according to the report. So, the bottom line is that you can reduce the chance of contracting diseases by taking daily supplements of multivitamins, especially if your diet is poor.
Things to look for when you’re choosing a multivitamin for men over 40
When you’re choosing a multivitamin in the market, you must watch out for several vitamins. Some of the essential vitamins are vitamins a, b, c, e.
- Vitamin a is essential for boosting your immune health and improve skin and eye health as well.
- Vitamin c is an essential supplement that is required for the formation of collagen in the human body system. It is also one of the few natural supplements that help to build a strong immune system.
- Vitamin b-complex is necessary for the production of red blood cells and maintaining energy metabolism.
- Vitamin e and selenium are widely believed to protect the internal cells of the body from getting damaged.
- Other nutrients and vitamins such as calcium, zinc, vitamin k, and magnesium are required by the body in large quantities to improve the health of your bones.
What is the best way to use multivitamins?
The best way to use multivitamins is by adhering to the prescription of a medical doctor.
It is not safe to indulge in self-medication. Also, do not assume that a certain amount of multivitamins is needed by the body. Usually, multivitamin medications are taken directly by mouth (except on rare occasions when patients cannot swallow or eat anything).
The only non-medical advice that I can give you is to be consistent about taking the multivitamins. This is to achieve the best result as soon as possible.
Precautions for using multivitamin for men over 40
Do not practice self-medication. According to a 2010 publication by maria esperanza ruiz et al., There are several health risks attached to self-medication.
- Take your multivitamin tablets regularly.
- Do not take more than recommended.
- Take your multivitamin with more water.
- If the tablet is chewable, chew it to granules before you swallow.
- If the multivitamin is sublingual, allow the tablet to dissolve under your tongue, do not swallow.
- To retain its effectiveness, ensure you keep the multivitamin in its original container.
- Keeping the tablets in a glass could ruin its effect.
- Keep away from moisture and heat.
- Liquid medicine should be measured with a measuring spoon or syringe. If you do not have one, do not hesitate to get it from the nearest pharmacy.
5 best vitamins for men over 40: detailed review
The garden of life stands out as one of the most suitable options for men in their 40s. The product is made from all-natural ingredients and specially formulated for men.
This product has health benefits ranging from prostrate health improvement, energy level increase, eye, and digestive health improvement. It is also much in antioxidants, vitamins b, c, and e. The multivitamin consists of vitamins that are naturally probiotic with enzymes that aid overall health improvement.
Most of the vitamins are unique in improving the health of the human heart. The product also helps to control how the body responds to stress.
It is a good choice, especially if you’re a vegetarian. The product beats most multivitamins in the market with the 23 fruits and vegetable composition.
- It contains no artificial color.
- It is completely free from binders and synthetic fillers.
- It has no additive or sweetener.
- There are no heavy metals or iron added to the ingredients.
- It aids the energy level and mental health.
- It keeps the prostate in a good and healthy state.
- It can lose its medicinal value if kept in a moist place
- It is expensive.
- You’re required to take four pills of the tablet daily.
One of the most affordable multivitamins is swisse men’s ultivite. It provides adequate support when the body is stressed. It also gives stamina and energy vitality.
This product contains 53 vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals. The ingredients used in producing the pill is non-toxic to human health. One amazing feature that sets it apart from a lot of multivitamins is that it is dairy, filler, and gluten-free. It’s also a good choice for vegetarian men.
The product does not contain any heavy metal or arsenic. Industry-based facts say the product is completely safe for human health.
- There are 120 tablets in a bottle.
- It can be used on an empty stomach without resulting in any problem.
- It boosts eye and brain efficiencies.
- Only one tablet is taken daily.
- It’s expensive.
- It’s likely to expire before you finish the medication.
This product is one of the easiest multivitamins to take. It has all the nutrients required by the body to function well. The nutrients in the product help to boost the immune system. It also improves heart health and energy level.
One of the features that made this product my go-to option some years ago is that you only have to take it once daily
- You are to use one tablet per day
- A bottle of the multivitamin has 250 tablets. That is, it can sustain you for more than seven months.
- It consists of all the essential nutrients a man above the age of 40 needs.
- It contains no artificial color or sweetener.
- It is wheat, dairy, and gluten-free.
- Vitamins such as vitamins a, c, d, e, and k are present.
- Essential macronutrients such as lycopene, folic acid, thiamin, biotin, and magnesium are present in large quantities.
- The multivitamin is suitable for men who are allergic to shellfish and/or are vegetarians.
- The multivitamin improves the general well-being with an emphasis on the immune system and bone health.
- Some find the taste to be unpleasant.
Centrum silver adult (csa) has been around for more than four decades. It is a vitamin-laden choice for men aged 40. It contains micronutrients and vitamins such as vitamins b, c, d, and e in appropriate proportion.
These micronutrients are useful in the areas of metabolism, energy improvement, and immunity boost.
Csa is arguably one of the few in the market that possesses all the mineral supplements needed by the body. The tablet has a smooth coating, making it quite easy to swallow. The spectrum of nutrients embedded in the multivitamin is good for the health benefits of the eye, heart, and brain.
Centrum silver adult contains a combination of vitamin d and calcium. It is also rich in vitamin b6 for the muscle to function well.
- There are 80 tablets in each bottle. Therefore, it can sustain you for more than eight weeks.
- It improves bone health.
- It may expire before you complete the dosage.
Rainbow light men’s multivitamin scores high among multivitamins that supply the body with adequate nutritional value. It is highly rich in vitamins such as vitamins a, e, c, b-complex, and d3.
The product is known to boost energy level as it is made from plants such as dandelion, spinach, beets, and kale. It is also a go-to option for men seeking sexual and cardiovascular health improvement.
Rainbow light men’s multivitamin contains no artificial ingredient
. Its dosage is one per day. It does not upset the stomach but rather promotes the digestive system. It has a host of enzymes, probiotics, and ginger that makes it stomach-friendly.
- It’s all-natural
- It contains no additive.
- It is not easy to get the original product in the market.
All the products listed above are all good for men above 40. But, if you really want to choose the best out of the five, then, garden of life men’s multivitamin would be the best to pick. The product is selected based on its nutritional contents and price.
Garden of Life Multivitamin for Men
This multivitamin has gone through a series of laboratory tests. This is to ensure it’s completely free from every unhealthy particle, which could lead to health complications. The product is absolutely free from arsenic, lead, and mercury. All the nutrients in the product are sourced naturally with no artificial ingredients.